Friday 9 July 2010

Part Seven - Life Goes On

On Monday morning we sat at the table together eating breakfast. Hector wasn’t at all worried about his first day of school. “I can’t wait to meet the other kids!” he said, “Can I bring friends home after school?”
‘Slow down!’ I said, ‘Just get through today. Maybe you can bring a friend home later in the week!’

I watched him get on the bus. He looked so grown up. He was the first on the run so he got to choose his seat. As the bus drove off I had a tear in my eye. I remembered how much it had taken to get to here. I didn’t have much time to think as my carpool was waiting.



My new promotion to resident meant I was working from 9-6 so Hector was alone when he got in. He was so well behaved and immediately got his homework out.
He could have just run over the road to the park to play. It seemed to me like Hector took his education very seriously.
As soon as I came in the door Hector came running up to me and hugged me. He was desperate to tell me about his first day of school. He told me he had made a friend and wanted them to come over as soon as possible.

Hector had no trouble making friends. Everyone loved him! I just sensed that he spent most of his time thinking about school work and learning. He was always getting A grades on his work, even on his first day!
I was progressing well at work. I had discovered that the medical career truly was my calling. In my 8 years at the hospital I had surpassed my ambition of becoming a nurse. I was now a trauma surgeon. Although the job paid more and made it easier to pay the bills it had its disadvantages.
I was in and out of the house at all times of day. I barely got to see my son. I told myself, ‘Its OK, you’re doing it for him. Its only temporary, another position will become available soon.’
I ended up exhausted from trying to be around for Hector when he got up for school and when he came in. I couldn’t bare the idea that I wouldn’t get to see my son awake 5 days a week. I always went into his room when I got home to pull up his covers.
One morning, probably through my lack of energy, I set the stove on fire. I realised that we hadn’t got a smoke alarm so I ran into Hector’s room and called the fire service. Our stove was ruined so I had to buy a new one. As I sat there after the fire I thought about my family. I hadn’t thought of them in such a long time. It was almost 10 years since I had heard about the fire. I wondered whether it was possible that any of them could have survived.
Time passed. Hector continued to do well at school. He was top of the class in all his subjects and was taking extra lessons. I was promoted to Gene Therapist which meant that I was at home more reasonable hours.

1 comment:

  1. Oops... Fire! I hope she will meet a nice fire fighter and her house will never burn down!

    ReplyDelete

I pasted part 10 of the story and....

I write like
William Shakespeare

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!