Wednesday 7 July 2010

Part Three - A bad night

One day, Geoffrey invited me to meet him at the park near our homes. I gladly accepted because I had just had a very stressful day and needed to blow off a bit of steam. I wasn’t too impressed when he started talking about medicine, but just being out of the house was enough to keep me happy.
Suddenly he stopped talking, leant forwards and grabbed my arm. He had the same look in his eyes as when I had first gone over to introduce myself. 

I didn’t know what to do. I wasn’t at all attracted to him, he was my boss and a married man. Until now I had enjoyed having him as a friend but it was obvious that he wanted more than that. He invited me over to his house for drinks and I accepted, assuming that his wife would be there.
I don’t remember any more of what happened that night. I woke up the following morning fully clothed in bed at home and absolutely stinking of alcohol. I felt so sick and it was a huge effort to get out of bed!
 I decided to head down to the gym to use the spa bath. I thought it was best to avoid Geoffrey as much as I could. Once I was clean I phoned my mentor Morgana Wolff, who had become my closest friend, and asked her to meet me at the park for a game of chess.
We both enjoyed a good game of chess, especially as having good logic skills was so important to us both at work. About half way through the game I started feeling a bit sick. Eventually I just couldn’t hold it any more and I rushed to the bathrooms.
I was in there for almost quarter of an hour and Morgana was starting to worry about me. She came and knocked on the door, “You OK in there Am?” she asked. ‘Yeah, I’ll be out in a min. You go back and hang on to the chess table otherwise someone else will take it.’
I felt dreadful, my throat was sore, my head was pounding and the nausea still hadn’t gone. I guess it was my own fault for drinking so much last night. I vowed right then that I would never drink alcohol again. I rinsed my mouth out and had a mint then went back to play chess with Morgana.
“So what was all that about?” asked Morgana. I told her about last night and how I had had far too much to drink. I said that I was never going to drink again. She laughed and said that she had a  night like that once and didn’t drink for years after. “Its just part of growing up!” she said, I laughed, she always has a way of making me feel better.
We spent the rest of the day playing chess and then went to the diner for a meal. I am so glad that I have a friend like Morgana. I feel that I can trust her to be there for me whenever I need her. She is sort of like a big sister to me.
A couple of days later I woke up in the middle of the night. I didn’t know why, but I just couldn’t get back to sleep no matter how hard I tried. I must have been awake for at least three hours before I went back to sleep. My whole body was aching the following day so I asked Morgana what she thought was wrong. She examined me and took some blood. An hour or so later she came up to me. “Am, I’ve got your results.”



“Congratulations!” she said “You’re pregnant!!” My knees went weak and I fell to the floor. How could I be pregnant?? I’d never done anything like that. And then it came back to me, the night I couldn’t remember, Geoffrey was the father! Morgana checked me into the hospital and got me the rest of the afternoon off. After a few hours she sent me home and told me to come back the next morning for an ultrasound scan with one of the midwives.

I came back the next day for my scan. I still hadn’t come to terms with the idea of having a baby. Morgana was there with me the whole time.
 “Listen to the heartbeat.” she said “Would you like to know if it is a girl or boy?” I nodded. She turned and checked the screen again, “It’s a boy and he is very healthy!”
I went home again and spent a lot of time thinking things over and gradually came to terms with my pregnancy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.... That sob Geoffrey. I hope he's gonna get it! Big Time! I like Am's outfit, where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete

I pasted part 10 of the story and....

I write like
William Shakespeare

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!